Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Plugging Away

I'm still stitching away and making slow, but steady, progress. I'm also still not thrilled with the results, but I'm getting there. I think it just needs a little fine-tuning. Here are the items I've made, though not necessarily completed, in the last couple of days:









What do you think?

For this project, I've been really inspired by Mexican peasant blouses - although I realize it doesn't really translate here. I told you I lose my way easily. I just wish it came more naturally to me. I get these ideas and in my head they look AWESOME - then I go to execute them and it's not quite the same. I always struggle with colors, placement, designs - maybe that's the difference between "artists" and "crafters."  Clearly, I'm a crafter. Anyway, it's nothing that I'm gonna let deter me. I just need to keep plugging away and eventually I'll end up happy with the results.

The Doomed thinks these are way too cutesy and "tween" and, though I'm inclined to agree, it doesn't really bother me. The only one I consider finished is the white one with flowers and bead embroidery. The rest need...something. Not knowing exactly what that is yet, though, I opted to stop before I screwed them up completely. I did finish the green one from my last post so I can start wearing it and see how it holds up and I have to say, though I'm still not crazy about the flower patterns, I think the overall result looks good.


Ta-dah! It's a fascinator headband!
Credit where credit's due, I learned the basic techniques for these at a Handmade Miami crafternoon, though I modified them a bit to suit my skill level (I don't know how to use glue guns!) and aesthetic, and have been OBSESSED with the idea of my making these for the shop ever since. Just one more reason for you all to get in on crafting with crafty peeps - never know what you're gonna learn and what ideas you walk out with!


And what's that I spy with my little eyes?
My first shop tags, hags! (I say "hags" lovingly. If you've ever seen Broken Hearts Club, you know what I'm referring to.)

2 comments:

  1. No worries, hag! I still love you. I totally admire your sewing skills and I think customers would appreciate that a lot more than it just being glued.
    Also, the tags look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, my embroidery skills are SO limited - but I'm doing what I can with them and learning new stitches along the way. I'm gonna keep doing it, though, 'cause I'm really enjoying all the hand sewing. Is that weird?

    ReplyDelete