Monday, July 26, 2010

Handmade Miami

Well, the rain was no worse than usual this weekend so I did manage to make it out for the Crafternoon with the ladies from the newly named Handmade Miami craft group.



For our project, we made headband fascinators (fascinator headbands?) and they brought all kinds of goodies as supplies: feathers, tulle, buttons, fabric, felt, beads, pom poms, flowers, leaves - even styrofoam birds! A glue gun station was set up and everyone got around to the very important business at hand - decorating our heads. They turned out really cute and creative - though, as usual, I aimed for the more simple designs:





I'm ashamed to admit I'd never used a glue gun before - I've always stuck to bottled adhesives - so I had a bitch of a time figuring out how to properly attach the fabric-covered cardstock onto the headband. Hot glue, as I learned, dries REALLY quickly. But success! - as you can see - and no burns acquired in the process! I even resurrected skills from my gift wrapping days and made a bow to place atop my noggin. (And, yes, I know it's big but it looks cute on me - so quiet, you.) These were really fun to make and I came home wishing I had a stock pile of headbands waiting to be adorned. Plus, it was awesome hanging out with people who enjoy crafting as much as I do. I know they want to keep having these gatherings and I'm looking forward to learning something new everytime.

As for my personal crafting venture, I've come up up with two more ideas/versions for the items I want to carry in the shop and am eagerly awaiting just-ordered supplies so I can accomplish them. I made a very rough prototype of one on Saturday, but it turned out better than I expected for my first try, though I don't think I'll have anything really prepared to show you until next week at the earliest. I guess you'll just have to wait 'til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment